UHIP is mandatory for all dependants (spouse and children).
Typically, premiums for dependants are the same as those for the student (member). Coverage for any dependants will end on the same day as the student coverage ends, even if a dependant leaves Canada prior to this date.
If the students has OHIP or is covered under another provincial health insurance plan but the dependants are not covered under that provincial plan, the premiums for mandatory coverage for the dependants are the same as indicated in the paragraph above.
Dependant coverage under the plan ends on the last day of the last month of the student’s final term. The dependants will require private insurance coverage to begin once UHIP coverage ends.
NOTE: Neither the student nor the dependants will receive any notice that the coverage is ending.
If you register for dependant coverage more than 30 days after the date they became eligible for UHIP (usually the date they arrive in Canada), you will be billed a late registration fee. This fee is currently $500. You will also be charged the premiums for your eligible dependants retroactive to the applicable date as listed below:
- If you are a student: The first day of the month in which your study period began.
- If you are employed by the University: The date your employment began.
- The date you and your dependants arrived in Canada and became eligible for UHIP.
Premiums for dependants are calculated as shown below:
- Arriving fall 2019 term: $636; coverage ends August 31, 2020
- Arriving winter 2020 term: $424; coverage ends August 31, 2020
- Arriving summer 2020 term: $212; coverage ends August 31, 2020
In subsequent years, UHIP premiums for dependants will be billed annually at the rate in effect and will appear on your statement. Premiums are calculated up to and including the last day of term during which the coverage ends (December 31 for Fall term, April 30 for the Winter term, August 31 for the Summer term).
The annual premium covers all three terms. It is not possible to remove coverage for any term or partial term.