Obtaining permits and visas

Please note that due to a significant change to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), educational institutions such as the University of Ottawa can no longer provide international students with immigration advice on our website. As a result we invite you to visit the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). The CIC Call Centre can also answer questions, in English and French, about CIC services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada (1-888-242-2100). Students may also now e-mail the Call Centre with questions.

Electronic Travel Authorization 

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. 

Immigration Consultant

The International Office is offering a consultation service regarding immigration questions.Please note that the immigration consultant is there to advise on student-related temporary residence matters.

Questions on permanent residence or Canadian citizenship issues should be directed to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (www.cic.gc.ca).

Ali Belbachir, our immigration consultant, is available to meet with students by appointment only. 

You can book an appointment by email at uointl@uOttawa.ca, over the phone at 613-562-5847, or in person at the International Office, Tabaret Hall, room M386.

Back to top