What is staff mobility ?
The University of Ottawa recognizes that support staff play an important role in executing its Strategic Plan, and more specifically international initiatives concerning students. This is why we have launched the International Staff Mobility program, which will allow selected members of support staff to benefit from professional development in an international environment.
Through these mobility opportunities, support staff will be able to exchange best practices with our partners, as well as be completely immersed in a new culture. This will allow them to develop international competencies, such as understanding cultural nuances, acquiring intercultural communication skills, and appreciating the value of a mobility exchange for uOttawa students.
These newfound skills and knowledge will help these employees better serve our international students on campus, promote mobility among our student body, and support us in strengthening our relationships with our international partners – and as a result, help the University in reaching its Destination 2020 objectives.
Responsibilities of selected participants
If you are selected to participate in a uOttawa staff mobility stay, you must follow the following steps:
- Sign the uOttawa Staff Mobility Agreement
- Ensure that you have adequate insurance coverage for the duration of your stay.
- Communicate with your supervisor to ensure that your work will be covered during your absence.
- Complete the required pre-departure training (s) by the deadline specified by the International Office
- Complete the host institution’s Mobility Agreement and adhere to any rules stipulated therein.
- Promptly respond to the host institution and complete any other paperwork or steps requested by the partner
- Respond promptly to the uOttawa International Office and complete any other pre-departure steps communicated to you by the Office.
During the mobility stay
- Be on time and present for the activities outlined in the Mobility Agreement with the host institution
- Check in with the International Office (uointl@uOttawa.ca) towards the beginning of your stay to let us know you've arrived well
- Abide by the behaviour, rules and regulations outlined by the host university and the uOttawa International Office - such as acting in a professional manner, showing respect and courtesy to your hosts, etc.
After the mobility stay
- Complete the evaluation requested by the host institution within the required timeframe and send a copy to the International Office
- Provide the International Office with a testimonial for promotional purposes:
- Complete the Staff Mobility Testimonial Form
- Provide 2 - 3 photos of yourself (ideally that show your destination) that can be published on the International Office’s website
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss and have them sign your Staff Mobility Report, noting how you can incorporate any actions from your mobility stay into your professional development plan.
- Cooperate with the International Office on future mobility stays of incoming staff (i.e. hosting in your department, meeting the individual, etc.) as requested by the International Office.
If you have any questions, please contact us at uointl@uOttawa.ca.
Staff Mobility Fund
The International Office has created the Staff Mobility Fund in order to offer outstanding uOttawa support staff funded opportunities for professional development abroad. These opportunities will not only have a positive impact on the participating staff members themselves, but also on their department, our international students, as well as the uOttawa community at large.
The aim of the Fund is to provide financial assistance to University of Ottawa administrative staff members whose work has a direct or indirect impact on students or is related to internationalization at the University and who wish to participate in career development opportunities abroad in order to deepen their knowledge base and learn about the best practices at partner institutions.
Help us give motivated support staff members the chance to complete an enriching international staff mobility exchange. Make a donation through VirtuO to the International Office Fund for the Internationalization of the University of Ottawa of the Employee Giving Program.
If you have any questions about the Fund, please contact us at uointl@uOttawa.ca.
Opportunities for professors
The University of Ottawa offers its professors a number of opportunities to participate in international research or teaching activities. The majority of international opportunities available to professors arise through discussions with counterparts abroad, through partner institution requests, or from faculty initiatives.
While this page is dedicated to Staff Mobility for administrative personnel, certain Erasmus+ opportunities are open to uOttawa professors. To view the list of opportunities currently available and to see whether you are eligible, view the list of open calls through Erasmus+.
If you are a uOttawa support staff member and you are interested in being on a reserve list to be contacted when new staff mobility opportunities arise, please fill out the Staff Mobility Interest Form
If you have any questions, or would like to discuss establishing a new staff mobility opportunity please contact us at uointl@uOttawa.ca.