- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
Scholarship title :
- Kakehashi Project
Generously supported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (MOFA), the Kakehashi Project is an exchange program promoting understanding of Japan in North America. The Japanese word “kakehashi” means “bridge,” symbolizing the hope that participants will form lasting relationships with Japan and its people and serve as bridges between nations and cultures.
The 2019-20 Kakehashi Project is an opportunity for 12 University of Ottawa senior undergraduate and graduate students (including two group leaders nominated by the Centre for the Study of Global Japan) to travel to Japan for the nine-day program. Selected students will demonstrate an interest in Japanese politics, diplomacy, technology, and culture.
The 2019-20 Kakehashi Project will take place February 15-23, 2020 (departure on February 15; arrival in Japan on February 16; return to Canada February 23).
- Current senior undergraduate students and graduate students at the University of Ottawa
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Applicants should be physically capable of keeping up with a busy program schedule requiring extensive walking each day
- Applicants must commit to sharing and disseminating their experiences in Japan after returning to Canada and to be available during the week of March 14-22, 2020 to support the organization and hosting of student visitors from Japan.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have been involved in study, research or activities related to Japan or Japanese language/culture for over a year and/or those who have been involved in business related to Japan or Japanese products/services for over a year*
*Applicants with Japanese citizenship are ineligible *Applicants who have previously participated in KAKEHASHI Project or other programs funded by the Japanese government are ineligible *Applicants who have studied or stayed in Japan for over a year are ineligible
-Week of November 18th, 2019: Ranking of applications by uOttawa staff
-Friday, November 22nd, 2019: Announcement of nominees by email
Thank you to all applicants, you are all inspiring candidates however the spots were limited for this funding. If you have not received a nomination email on your @uOttawa.ca account, we regret to inform you that you will not be considered in the next phase of evaluation of candidates.