What is uOCoach?
An International uOCoach is an individual who has successfully completed a uOttawa outgoing international exchange and volunteers their time and services by sharing their exchange experience.
With the help of uOCoaches, the International Office strives to better inform outgoing students about their host country as well as helping them prepare for their transition to studying abroad. With their knowledge of their former host countries, past participants of the exchange program can offer guidance and support to students who plan on going or will be going to the same country.
- uOCoach Responsibilities
- Complete a mandatory training
- Answer questions from nominated outgoing exchange students
- Share your experience
- Follow-up with students when they're on exchange
- Benefits of becoming a uOCoach
- Meet other exchange students and like-minded people
- Acquire valuable skills
- Receive volunteering recognition from the Michaëlle Jean Centre for Global and Community Engagement (MJCGCE)
- Steps to become a uOCoach
- Mandatory training
- Online training on Brightspace
- Training with a Mobility coordinator
Q: What happens if there is no uOCoach who have been to my host country?
A: If there is no uOCoach for your host country, we can pair you with a uOCoach from a near-by country. Even if your experience will be different from theirs, the uOCoach can still advise you on life as an exchange student and coach you through your preparations.
Q: I don't speak French, will I be paired with a French uOCoach?
A: We will pair you with a uOCoach who speaks your preferred language.