Important! Immigration law

Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, educational institutions such as the
University of Ottawa cannot give advice on immigration questions. Immigration, Refugees and
Citizenship Canada has up to date information about how to study in Canada. If you have
questions, including about IRCC services and programs or your application, contact the IRCC
client support centre.

The University of Ottawa cannot contact IRCC on your behalf, for example, to speed up the
processing time or to inquire about your immigration application.

Immigration documentation

What type of student are you?

New students

New student

Apply for your visa/study permit

Find out if you are eligible for a study permit, what you need to apply and how to apply. Also learn what to do after you submit your application and before you arrive in Canada.  Usually, you will require certain documents while submitting the application for a visa and/or study permit. The most commonly requested documents are below:

  • Fee structure
  • Letter of offer
  • Statement of Studies
  • Inviting family to convocation

If you need any of these documents, you may visit InfoService in person. There might be a fee associated with every document you order.

Apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

eTA is the travel authorization for citizens of visa-exempt countries to travel or transit in Canada.Applying for an eTA is a simple online process. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

Find out if you need an eTA, how to apply and what other documents you will need to come to Canada. This most commonly applies to exchange students and researchers coming to Canada for less than 6 months.

Bringing your family (dependants)

The family members who can come with you to Canada when you immigrate include:

  • *Dependants are children or spouses
  • your spouse or common-law partner,
  • your dependent child,
  • your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent child, and
  • a dependent child of a dependent child.

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, you can apply to sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents.

Minors (Custodianship)

University of Ottawa do not provide custodianship to minor students who want to study in Canada. It is the responsibility of the parents and the student to find a legal guardian to take the custody of the minor student in Canada.

Please note that the immigration officer must be satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for the care and support of minor children who travel to Canada to study.

Returning students

Returning student

Renewing your visa/study permit

Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure you apply for the renewal before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.Please note that if your study permit expires and you did not renew it on time, then you will not be allowed to continue your work or study in Canada.

Apply for CO-OP or Internship Work Permit

Once you are admitted to the cooperative education program by the respective faculty, work experience becomes a part of the curriculum. After receiving the CO-OP letter students can apply for the CO-OP work permit.

Graduated students

Graduated student

Apply for post graduate work permit

The Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Immigration Consultant

The International Office is offering a consultation service regarding immigration questions. Please note that the immigration consultant is there to advice on student-related temporary residence matters.

Questions on permanent residence or Canadian citizenship issues should be directed to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Ali Belbachir, our immigration consultant, is available to meet with students by appointment only. 

You can book an appointment by email at, over the phone at 613-562-5847, or in person at the International Office, Tabaret Hall, room M386.

Immigration Workshops

The International Office often offers workshops about immigration. Normally, the immigration consultant offers one workshop per term about the overview of immigration laws pertaining to your temporary residency status. Also, sometimes different partners come on campus as well like the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program and the U.S. embassy to speak about getting a visa.  These workshops will be advertised via the newsletters by email and on our Facebook page.

Changing your legal status

Tuition fees at the University of Ottawa may vary according to the legal status in Canada. If you change your legal status, you must submit proof of your new status to InfoService in order to change the information in our database and to possibly qualify for Canadian tuition. Valid documentation must be provided, in most cases, photo ID along with a social insurance number not starting with the number 9 can also be used. 

If you are in the process of obtaining your permanent residency status, we require a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) confirming they have received your application. For more information and deadlines, visit the page about rules governing university fees.

Travelling outside of Canada

Your Canadian study permit or student visa does not guarantee entry to any other country. If you would like to travel to the U.S.A, Cuba, Mexico or any other countries, inquire with their respective consulate to confirm if you need a visa to travel based on your country of citizenship. Find a Consular Office in Canada to start your search.

Back to top